Chef (Sessional Contract)
Who we are
People First is an independent customer-led charitable organisation that has worked in Cumbria for almost 30 years. We are passionate about our values of equality, respect, and inclusion. We provide a wide range of support and information services across Cumbria, Lancashire, and Teesside, all aimed at helping people to live informed, respected, healthy and fulfilled lives. Our Head office is based in Carlisle, supported by offices in Barrow and Lancashire.
The Hospitality Team at the People First Conference Centre in Carlisle provides both high-quality innovative meeting spaces for delegates who come from all over the country as well as providing training in hospitality for adults with learning difficulties. We also run a People First Café at our local hospital that currently provides a takeaway service for the public, patients, and staff and regular meals for patients undergoing treatments.
We have strong ethical values of inclusion and diversity for team members and customers alike. Our high standards are striving to ensure we are one of the best venues in the country that offers our customers value for money and outstanding service.
We are looking for a unique cook to join our friendly team.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of People First and be driven by our mission.
An opportunity has arisen for a Sessional Chef based at the People First Carlisle Conference Centre.
The successful candidate will be kind, ambitious, energetic, creative, and dynamic and want to achieve nothing but the best.
We are looking for someone to use their established kitchen skills, taking their passion and innovation to all areas of People First catering offers. They will have a love of working with local businesses and using fresh local ingredients.
A People First Cook needs to be approachable and able to facilitate the learning of others within the kitchen. They need to be passionate about providing opportunities and support to others who are learning to work in the hospitality industry.
The Job being on a sessional contract would suit someone who can be flexible and who is an experienced cook wishing to work within a friendly kitchen team and wanting to pass on their skills to our Hospitality Academy learners.
- Good all-round level of Education and qualifications and experience in food preparation and /or catering.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Excellent communication and support skills and have a keen eye for detail.
- Our ideal team member will be motivated, enthusiastic, and eager to share their passion, knowledge, and skills with our hospitality academy learners.
- Capacity to work with a diverse range of people.
- You will need to undertake an Enhanced DBS check.
- Commitment to equality and diversity.
- Good knowledge of allergens and correct labeling.
- The ability to work on own initiative and be excellent with organisation and time management skills.
Duties will include:
- Preparing food and cooking on a day-to-day basis.
- Ensuring good stock rotation.
- Keep up to date with all Food Safety regulations.
- Practical Learner Support: Support learners to prepare for events in all areas within People First and deliver exceptional customer service.
- Support learners in their practical educational tasks.
- Must be able to work early mornings as your standard shift.
The duties outlined above are not intended to be exhaustive and may change as the needs of the organisation alter in line with current agendas. Due to the developing nature of our organisation, we require staff to remain highly flexible in their approach, and work to meet the changing needs of the projects.