Kitchen Team Leader
Purpose of job
To provide leadership in a busy, dynamic professional catering kitchen which provides learning opportunities for young adults with learning disabilities.
A focus on systemisation and quality is essential for the role, along with supporting a cultural of team building and professional.
The Enterprise Team at the People First Conference Centre in Carlisle provides both high quality innovative meeting spaces for delegates who come from all over the country as well as providing training in hospitality for adults with learning difficulties. We also run a People First Café at our local hospital that provides a catering service for the public, patients and staff and regular meals for patients undergoing treatments.
We have strong ethical values of inclusion and diversity for team members and customers alike. Our high standards are striving to ensure we are one of the best venues in the country that offers our customers value for money and outstanding service.
The successful candidate will be kind, ambitious, energetic, creative and dynamic and want to achieve nothing but the best.
We are looking for someone to use their established kitchen skills, taking their passion and innovation to all areas of People First catering offers. They will have a love of working with local businesses and using fresh local ingredients to create exciting menus for a diverse range of customers.
The People First Cook needs to be approachable and able to facilitate the learning of others within the kitchen. They need to be passionate about providing opportunities and support to others who are learning to work within the hospitality industry.
Good all-round level of Education and qualifications and experience in food preparation and /or catering.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Excellent communication and support skills and have a keen eye for detail.
- Our ideal candidate will be motivated, enthusiastic, and eager to share their passion, knowledge and skills with our hospitality academy learners.
- The person will be creative and always look to ensure our food offer remains modern and fresh.
- The person needs to lead from the front and by example and always be willing to step-in when necessary, to get the job done.
- The person will have experience in leading a team within a catering kitchen and proven and able to provide training and mentorship.
- IT skills- be able to use programmes such as Microsoft Office, Outlook, and be able to undertake relevant training as required.
- Capacity to work with a diverse range of people.
- You will need to undertake an Enhanced DBS check.
- Commitment to equality and diversity.
- Good knowledge of allergens and correct labelling.
- Experience is creating rotas for kitchen teams.
- The ability to work on own initiative and be excellent with organisation and time management skills. Your experience of problem solving will ensure that there is always a solution to every problem.
Duties will include
- Creating menus with fresh local ingredients.
- Budgeting for your departmental finances.
- Excellent diligence with kitchen management ensuring we gain 5 stars for EHO.
- Ensuring high standards of quality local produce and developing relationships with local suppliers.
- Preparing food and cooking on a day-to-day basis.
- Daily and weekly stock ordering and ensuring good stock rotation.
- Keep up to date with all Food Safety regulations.
- Practical Learner Support: supporting learners to prepare for catering events in all areas within People First.
- Support learners in their practical educational tasks.
- Work closely with Education and catering team members with organising weekly activities.
- Liaise with parents/carers where appropriate.
- Must be able to work early mornings as your standard shift and weekends/evenings as required.
- Contribute to the wider People First organisation and activities as appropriate.
- Evening and weekend working may be required.
- The duties outlined above are not intended to be exhaustive and may change as the needs of the organisation alter in line with current agendas. Due to the developing nature of our organisation, we require staff to remain highly flexible in their approach, and work to meet the changing needs of the projects.
For more information
If you’d like any further information about the role, if you have any questions please contact our Hospitality Manager, [email protected]