Based within the Inclusion Department, the Education Team provides personal development and vocational education, training and support for young adults with learning difficulties and / or autism.
Reporting to: Employability Job Coach
Contract: Voluntary Position
Salary: Expenses will be provided
Location: Various locations around Carlisle
Who are we?
People First Independent Advocacy is a registered charity and company limited by guarantee, providing a wide range of support and information services across the North of England, aimed at helping people to live informed, respected, healthy and fulfilled lives. We have been delivering services for 30 years and have a deep understanding of our communities and the unique challenges they bring. We also deliver People First Services, a registered charity, the object of which is the relief of people with a learning difficulty primarily through the running of the People First Conference Centre. Our Head office is based in Carlisle, supported by offices in Barrow and Leyland.
Based within the Inclusion Department, the Education Team provides personal development and vocational education, training and support for young adults with learning difficulties and / or autism. Based at the People First Conference Centre in Carlisle, the Education Team. Our vocational training is centred around our Hospitality Academy where we prepare our learners for future hospitality roles in industry and the wider community.
You will be part of our Education Team who support our learners in reaching their future employment and life skills goals. Although most of our placements are in hospitality settings, we also provide opportunities for our learners to develop their interests in other areas and improve their employability and life skills.
A Work Placement Support Volunteer would accompany one or two of our learners to their work placement and support them in carrying out their tasks there. This role would include:
- Accompanying learners to and from their work placements, ensuring they arrive there promptly and return safely to the People First Conference Centre afterwards.
- Providing on the job support for our learners. This could include helping them serve hot drinks in a café, clean a van, or building up their confidence so they can talk to people.
- Communicating our learners’ needs to our Placement Partners and negotiating reasonable adjustments.
- Communicating our Placement Partners’ needs to our learners.
- Reporting back to the Employability Job Coach regarding the placement suitability, issues arising and successes.
- Completing administrative tasks as required which will include completing an end of placement report.
- Good organisational and time management skills.
- Good written skills and IT literate.
- The ability to listen to, engage and communicate with people from diverse backgrounds.
- The ability to deal with emotionally challenging situations with resilience and empathy.
- The ability to identify with and understand the needs of vulnerable and disadvantaged people.
- An understanding of the needs and issues faced by people with learning difficulties and autism.
- A willingness to undertake relevant training.
- A commitment to valuing diversity and equal opportunities.
- A commitment to providing a high-quality service, centered on the needs of the learner.
A current driving licence and access to own transport is preferred for this role as some of our placements are in the area around Carlisle. However, we do have placements within walking distance of People First Conference Centre, so your own transport is not essential.
If you do use your car for this post you will be required to have the appropriate ‘business use’ insurance in place.
People First is an equal opportunities employer, committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants must be willing to undergo a DBS check and any other safeguarding checks as appropriate to the post. The appointment will be subject to the satisfactory outcome of these checks.