Children’s Advocacy

Independent Children’s and Young Person’s Advocacy

Children’s and Young person’s advocacy supports young people to understand their rights and choices. Advocates can work alongside you to support you to feel confident to speak up and have your say.

Can I have support of a Children’s and Young Person’s Advocate?

You have the right to the support of a Children’s and Young Person’s Advocate if you are:

  • ‘Looked after’
  • Subject to a Child Protection Plan
  • A Care Leaver
  • Have a disability or are ‘in need’

AND You feel you are not being listened to about any issue. For example at a Child Protection Conference of Review, at a Family Group Conference or if they wish to make a complaint against children’s services.

What can a Children’s and Young Person’s Advocate do for me?

An advocate can help you to:

  • Tell people what is important to you
  • Be listened to
  • Understand your rights and choices
  • Make a complaint
  • Access information
  • Feel confident to attend your meetings
  • Speak to professionals
  • Write letters

How do I access the support from a Children’s and Young Person’s Advocate in Cumbria?

If you believe you are eligible for the support of an IMHA, the organisation that provides the support in Cumbria is:

National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS) 0808 808 1001 or send an email to

Frequently Asked Questions

Can a Children’s and Young Person’s Advocate

What is the most common issue young people raise?

The most common issue that young people raise is that they can’t get hold of their social worker. They may have a simple query but lack of response increases anxiety and frustrations often resulting in formal complaints.

Can a Children’s and Young Person’s Advocate provide me with legal representation during my care proceedings?

No, an IMHA cannot provide you with legal representation. They can provide you with a list of specialist Mental Health Solicitors to help you access legal support. An IMHA cannot recommend a particular legal firm.

Will an advocate tell me the outcome of my complaint?

No, an advocate can be with you when you get your outcome. They can support you to understand the outcome and what choices you have next.

Did you find your question?

If you have a question and you did not find the answer in this section, please contact us and we will try our best to help you find the answer.