Skip To Content

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy: How we can help

At People First, we have a team of advocates who are ready to help you if you feel that you need some advocacy support.

Advocacy helps you to understand your rights and have your say. Our Advocates will stand with you to help you be heard when it comes to the decisions that affect your health, family and well-being.

We work independently from all health and social care services, standing 'shoulder to shoulder' with people to help you 'speak up' when you need support.

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA):

Independent Mental Capacity Advocates (IMCA) support people who have been assessed as lacking the capacity to make a specific decision. If a person does not have family or friends appropriate to consult and lacks capacity, an Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) can help. They will work to ensure that you are fully represented in the decision-making process by

  • Helping you understand the information and your rights
  • Exploring your options and choices
  • Helping you to tell people what is important to you
  • Helping you access other services that may be able to help you

What can an Independent Mental Capacity Advocates (IMCA) do for you:

  • Meet with you in private
  • Access records relevant to the decision including medical and social care records. 
  • Discuss your case with professionals involved in your treatment and other people who know you well 
  • Raise concerns and complaints on your behalf

If you would like to find out more about how our Independent Mental Capacity Advocates (IMCA) can help you, please read our 'Good to Know' guide here.

Support from an Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) is free, confidential and independent from health and care services.

If you think you are eligible for a independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA), please reach out to your social worker or local Adult Social Care office.

If you have tried to contact your social worker or local office and have had difficulty, please contact us directly and we can help you.